The project entitled Pilot Project on Advocacy to Combat Sexual Exploitation and Trafficking in Satkhira district was initiated in November 2007 - March 2009 with the financial assistance of the Anesvad Foundation, Spain.
Project goal and objectives:
To combat sexual exploitation and trafficking in women and children through capacity building of grassroots level organizations, law enforcing agencies, local leaders, teachers, journalists and members of the community and forming Community Watch Committees (CWCs) to support the victims of sexual exploitation and trafficking.
Project activities that have been undertaken:
- Baseline Study on Sexual Exploitation and Trafficking in four unions namely Parulia, Shakhipur, Nalta and Varashimla of Satkhira district has been conducted.
- One-day Experience Sharing Meeting with Key Stakeholders at Debhata Upazila was organized.
- One-day Experience Sharing Meeting with Key Stakeholders at Kaligonj Upazila was organized.
- 4,000 posters and 4,000 booklets to combat trafficking in women and children printed for wide dissemination.
- Facilitator's handbook to conduct union level motivational workshops has been developed.
- 10 two-day awareness raising and motivational workshops have been organized.
- 26 courtyard meetings have been organized.
- 16 bazaar meetings have been organized.
- 20 follow-up meetings of Community Watch Committee (CWC) have been organized. 32 victims of trafficking in women and children rescued and handed over to their family members by Community Watch Committee members.